Contact Us 24/7 -

Se Habla Español

(805) 628-4292

Get Experienced Attorneys On Your Side

Contact Our Team

California Misdemeanor DUI with Injury

DUI with drugs is a serious crime – especially if the driver injures an innocent person. According to California Vehicle Code § 23153 (a), driving under the influence of drugs qualifies as a "negligent act." If a driver accidentally harms another person as a result of drug impairment, he/she may be arrested for DUI causing injury. If prosecutors allege that you caused an injury while driving under the influence of a drug, you may be subject to harsh legal consequences Misdemeanor DUI with injury is punishable by:

  • Three to five years of probation (informal)
  • One year in jail (no less than five days)
  • A $5,000 fine (no less than $390)
  • A court-approved, 30-month drug education program
  • Three-year license suspension (no less than one year)
  • Restitution to all injured parties

Penalties for Felony DUI with Injury

Felony DUI is punishable by two, three, or four years in a California state prison. You may serve an additional three to six years in prison for any person that suffered serious bodily injury as a result of the offense. Finally, you may suffer another three consecutive years (no less than one year) for each person that sustained any injury related to the DUI offense. Felony DUI with injury is also punishable by a five-year driver's license suspension, a court-ordered drug education program, and a $5,000 fine.

DUI Lawyers in Santa Barbara

If you were arrested for driving under the influence of drugs in Santa Barbara, our team of Sana Barbara DUI lawyers can help you avoid a drugged driving conviction. We have more than 50 years of combined legal experience. When you work with Lessem, Newstat & Tooson, LLP, you can have peace of mind knowing that an experienced lawyer will fight for your rights through every step of your case.

Call our office today for a free case evaluation to see what our topnotch Santa Barbara criminal defense lawyers can do for your DUI case.